Pages

Friday, May 9, 2014

No Roof, No Doors, No Problem

Well it's official, we are now the proud owners of a 1978 Jeep Wrangler! Yep, you read that right, a 1978. Meet the White Rhino:


Jordan has become instantly obsessed with his new hobby car, and spends every spare minute online looking at parts, projects, and upgrades. It took me a second to warm up to the idea, as I couldn't see much class in this "classic," and mostly (and frankly) just a lot of ic(k)! However, I have come to enjoy this old beast. When Jordan first had the idea of selling MY CAR, my adorable,fun and sassy 350z sports car,  in order to buy one upon arrival, I'm not sure if this is exactly what I had in mind. I knew Jordan wanted an old jeep, but perhaps I didn't realize he intended to find a rugged, off-roading machine and not some Alicia Silverstone, from the movie Clueless, style jeep. And so far it's actually been quite fun. We have already greatly enjoyed many trips driving down the scenic highways as well as on the beaches themselves. It's been nice to throw the dog in the back seat after a day at the beach and not worry about sand or a stinky, wet dog, because you can literally hose it out after. Seriously. We are also looking forward to throwing Jordan's skimboard in the back once our household goods shipment finally arrives and strapping paddleboards to the roof for our daily beach adventures.


Beach day adventures!

Is this present day or 1978? It's hard to tell with Jordan's old-school looking uniform!


Evening, off-roading on the beach! Yes these pictures are blurry because I am holding on to dear life as we are bumping and jerking over the sand dunes, while simultaneously trying to take pictures.

The White Rhino in it's element!

Gunnar loves riding around in it with us!

There is also this strange club we are now apparently a part of. Every jeep that passes on the road, gives a wave or a "hang loose" hand sign. It's the funniest thing ever. It took us a while to catch on. In the beginning I thought people were mistaking us for the previous owners, who are a military family on base that sold the jeep because they are PCSing (aka moving to their next duty station) off the island. After a while though, we started to realize that it's just what people do here, from one jeep to another. I can't get over it. I think it's so silly and I can't help but laugh every single time, especially because they are all so serious about it. It's like they all think they are part of this cool kids club or something. Jordan thinks it's hysterically awesome, and throws up a motivated hang loose sign right back. I just laugh and roll my eyes.

Well I'm not quite sure how long we will have the White Rhino, as Jordan gets approached nearly every other day by someone asking how much he wants for it.  Most of these people are older men who say their wives made them sell theirs years ago (go figure!), and they have been regretting it ever since. However for the time being, we are enjoying our outdoor adventure mobile and exploring the island with no roof and no doors, just the cool crosswind breeze blowing through and the music of Jack Johnson on the radio. How we love Island life already!





1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this post and the White Rhino! :) It is such a fun thing for y'all to have for your adventures!

    ReplyDelete